Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Fibro Beach Shack 'Landscaping'

The Landscaping for the Fibro Beach Shack was finally started on the weekend.  The removal of the big tree that was close to the front steps was a major hurdle, it's gnarly big branches twisted high above the overhead power lines and  it's diseased and rotted trunk made the job a tricky one.  Firstly consulting and finding the right Arborist, then the task of planning with Ausgrid and the local community to have the power cut whilst we bought this old girl down.


Thinking about the plan for the landscape design was really fun.  I made lots of sketches from my memory of  Gold Coast beach houses we owned and holidayed in when I was a child.  When I collated the drawings they had a strong link, each drawing had a playful and whimsical element, a winding path, statues, bird baths, brightly painted garden seats and yes, I admit we had a pair of flaming pink flamingoes and a white tyre swan with red hot lips.  With a playful garden design in mind, next I had come up with a solution for the driveway which has to be functional as well as attractive. With playful in mind, I decided on using  river pebbles for the driveway and the curvy path.  The path will meander from the drivewat across the front garden and around the existing camellia tree.  The river pebbles are perfect for creating a retro look and make such a delicious crunchy sound when you walk on them.  Rowan will love this!


Brilliant sunny skies over the weekend (Woe!  The sun really reflects off the yellow)  and we were able to complete all the hard landscaping.  If you are doing the DIY, you will need to buy a spray can of paint to draw your plan onto the ground.


TA DAAAA!
I am so happy with the outcome.  Perfect retro garden styling.  I have a colourful retro inspired plant list and hopefully they will arrive for a big planting day next weekend.


To continue the retro vibe on the front porch I have sourced an eclectic collection of retro cement pots.  A quick coat of any left over white paint and they are ready to be potted with a selection of succulents including lots of  my favourite, strappy plant, the 'Mother In Laws Tongue'.  


What did Rowan do?  He loved playing in the pebble pit.......and eating baskets of strawberries.


A change of clothes and a walk to the beach..."POOL", he squeels!

A play in the park and he always tricks me he is going to come down the slide.
He thinks about it, considers it and then yell's..."NAAAN..NAAAA"



Soccer or Rugby?  


And back to the river pebbles........I knew Rowan would love the delcious crunchy sound the pebbles make under his feet under his little feet!


And time for bed.

Remember this?

  If you are new to my blog you might like to see the before pics here and when I started the renovation here.  

18 comments:

  1. you've definitely brightened it up! what a fun & happy shack.
    love the pool :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the pool, it's a beautiful piece of eastern Australian coastline, sheltered and perfect for families. I never grow tired of looking at it. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Looking good! Can't wait to see the end result. Love the pics of Rowan's little adventures. I only just realised from the "Naan-naa" comment that Rowan is your grandson ... I thought he was your son. (This is totally intended as a compliment by the way!) Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Thank you for your lovely comment. We are a very close family, I look after Rowan three to four days a week whilst his mum and dad do the long hours at work. I love taking him with us up to the shack.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see your concrete pots Roberta. You would love my collection. Most of them still in the shed waiting for their day in the sun. Your fibro shack has come along way (baby!) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kylie, I would love to see your concrete pots. Get them out girl and paint them and pot them!!!!! Yes the shack is nearly all done and ready to put on Stayz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shack is looking not-so-shack these days. I love it to bits! Very inspiring. I have a couple of concrete pots behind the shed too (though I covet the swan pots of yore) though they'll have to wait til/if we return to Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, best if you not let me know where that shed is....I looove concrete pots!

      Delete
  6. Pink flamingoes and tyre swans! I love it, your shack is going to be seriously fabulous! Can't wait to see how it all turns out. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I did lose some momentum due to the whole tree business, but excitment is mounting re the planting of the plants.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a transformation! I love the colour you painted to house, so vibrant. The front yard looks great already, those retro cement pots are fab. Good job! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Gillian. It took quite a while to get to that colour! Lots of mixing yellows, greens and white!

      Delete
  8. Goodness, you certainly have made quite a difference there, it's looking gorgeous! Looks like a lovely location too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanna say thanks for dropping by my itsy bitsy corner of the blogosphere:p... The yellow paint does brighten the whole thing. Have fun with your reno! And btw, love the pic of the lil one with the basket over his head. Adorable!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your colour choice. Bold but a fabbo statment for someone with confidence in decorating. Are you around on 10 August for a bloggers get together at my place?

    desireempire@iprimus.com.au
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Roberta, thanks so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I have just been wandering through all your posts about your beach house and I love what you have done and the yellow is the perfect colour choice. I too love white walls with lots of colour so I am very keen to see all your other room makeovers. The pebbles were a great choice for your grandson- we had pebbles like this when my son was a toddler and he spent hours downstairs playing in them. You can get a fantastic sit on metal digger for about $20 in bigw that would give your grandson days of enjoyment as he can scoop and move the pebbles around- you might need to give him his own pile. Looking forward to following you too as I love other peoples renos as well and your colours are fabulous! melx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roberta, love the way the house is coming along! Lovely color - so cheerful! Loving the pebbled driveway and paths! Can't wait to see the plantings you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...